1. Empty the garbage. The kitchen is most important, but include all bathroom trash cans too. If you don’t have a very convenient spot for the kitchen can, put it in the garage (if you have one). Garbage smells, don’t let your house smell like garbage during a showing. First impressions make lasting ones!
2. Sweep your front entry/walkway. Get a new welcome mat if you can. This goes back to first impressions- don’t give buyers a reason to think the place is filthy before they walk in the door.
3. Open the blinds in the whole house. Remove dark or heavy curtains. Unless the window looks onto something unsightly…let there be light!
4. Put your mail away. Personal items everywhere subconsciously block some people’s mind from imagining themselves living there. This goes back to de-personalizing the space- no photos, coupons, magazines, etc.
5. Spray neutral air freshener or keep a standing one by the door. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve walked into a house with buyers, it smelled good, and was noted. ‘Well, it smells clean.’ Even if it’s a dump. I’ve shown more than I’d like to admit that smelled like an animal shelter, curry restaurant, or smokey dive bar…the buyers would forever refer to it as ‘the smelly house.’ Don’t be the smelly house.
Originally from Cornwall NY, Heather grew up cleaning her parents rental apartments and learning about real estate at a young age. She found her way to SWFL in her 20's and bought her first rental property at 25. After meeting with agents to list a property for sale, she began analyzing the commission scale for listing agents and didn't agree with the model. The journey began in 2014, in between working for a large real estate investment education company, working as a real estate agent for a large local brokerage, and managing her own investments in SWFL, she began to develop the Listed Realty secret sauce- professional full service and a flat listing fee.
Industry passion fueled by a strong work ethic and an itch to always do the right thing makes for a successful broker you want on your side!